Without the correct support system in place, relocating to a new residence can be an extremely taxing and time-consuming ordeal. If you want your move to go off without a hitch and without causing you undue worry, then you need to choose a reliable local moving company. Yet picking a reliable moving company might be a challenge. There are over 7,000 movers in the United States, according to the American Moving and Storage Association, making it difficult to choose the best one.
In 2020, the BBB received more than 13,000 complaints specifically about moving companies. There are many different moving firms to pick from, so it’s important to take your time and find one that you can trust. In this piece, we’ll get into the specifics of how to pick a reliable local moving company that won’t break the bank.
Importance of Choosing the Right Local Moving Company
The prospect of uprooting one’s life and settling in a new location is both thrilling and intimidating. A lot of preparation, including planning, arranging, and packing, is needed for a successful relocation. Choosing a reliable local moving company is a key decision that may make or break your relocation. Some of the most important criteria to look for when choosing a local mover are:
1. Protects Your Belongings
You want your valuables to arrive safely at your new house. Use a reliable local moving company to protect your belongings. They use the right tools to protect your belongings during the move.
2. Saves Time and Energy
Moving is laborious. A reliable local moving company saves time and money. They’ll handle everything from packing to loading to unloading, so you can focus on finding a new home and getting comfortable.
3. Provides Insurance
Accidents can happen even with the best moving company. A good local moving company will insure your stuff. Your belongings are safe.
4. Offers Customized Services
Every motion has its own needs. Customized services are available from a good local moving business. They can pack, unload, and reassemble furniture and provide storage if needed.
5. Saves Money
Many people think moving themselves is cheaper than hiring a moving company. Not always. Professional local movers save money in the long term. They use the necessary tools to relocate your items safely. Because you don’t have to pay for repairs or replacements, they offer insurance.
6. Provides Professional Advice
First-time movers often feel overwhelmed. A good local moving company can advise you on packing, labelling, and moving. This can prevent frequent blunders and ensure a stress-free move.
1. Licensing and Insurance
A. Importance of Licensing and Insurance
Moving companies should be licensed and insured. The moving company’s license proves it’s lawful in your state. But, moving insurance protects your goods from damage, loss, or theft.
A licensed and insured moving business follows industry standards and is professional. It also protects you from liability and financial losses in the event of moving accidents or damages.
B. Verifying a Local Moving Company’s License and Insurance
- Check with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA): The federal FMCSA controls the moving business. If the moving company is registered and licensed, examine their website.
- Look for a USDOT number: Cross-state movers need an FMCSA-issued USDOT number. Check the moving company’s USDOT number on the FMCSA website.
- Check for a state license: Moving businesses must be licensed in some states. Check with your state’s transportation or consumer affairs department to discover if the moving firm is licensed.
- Ask for proof of insurance: A good moving company should have liability and cargo insurance to cover losses and damages. Get proof of current insurance that protects your possessions.
- Read reviews and ask for referrals: You may also check a moving company’s reputation by reading customer reviews and getting referrals from friends and relatives.
2. Reputation and Experience
The Significance of a Reliable and Experienced Moving Company
Reputation and experience matter when picking a local moving company. Company reputation reflects service excellence and client satisfaction. Reputable movers are more likely to deliver quality service.
Yet, experience shows a moving company’s industry skill. An experienced local moving company can handle various movements, overcome obstacles, and assure a smooth and successful transfer. Choosing a reputable and experienced local moving company helps reduce the danger of moving issues.
Methods for Evaluating a Moving Company’s Reputation and Experience
- Read internet reviews to learn about a moving company’s reputation. Check Yelp, Google, and BBB for customer reviews.
- Ask recent movers for advice. Recommendations can reveal a moving company’s reputation and reliability.
- Awards and certificates from renowned moving organizations might indicate a company’s reputation and ability.
- Websites reveal a company’s history, services, and ideals. Check their history, service locations, and customer service.
- Ask a moving business representative about their experience, specialties, and how they handle moving issues.
3. Services Offered
Understanding the Services Offered by a Local Moving Company
Knowing a moving company’s services is crucial. This will let you know if they can satisfy your needs and support your move. Knowing the services offered will help you budget for the move and ensure a fair pricing.
Choose a moving company that offers the services you require. Full-service movers pack, load, transport, and unload. A basic moving company may merely carry your belongings, leaving you to pack and load.
Common Moving Services and How to Determine Which Services are Needed
- Some moving firms pack and unpack, saving you time and energy. Ask the moving company about their process and cost if you need help packing and unpacking.
- Most movers load and unload. Ask the moving firm about their method and pricing if you need help.
- All moving firms offer transportation, but the quality varies. Choose a full-service or transportation-only moving company.
- Choose a moving company that stores your possessions. Ask the moving firm about short-term or long-term storage alternatives and price.
- Find a moving company with experience moving pianos and artwork. Ask the mover how they handle specialty objects.
4. Cost of Local Moving Company
Importance of Price When Choosing a Moving Company
Local Moving companies prices matters a lot. Moving is expensive, so you want a reasonable price for the services you need. Remember that the cheapest option isn’t always the best. Price-based moving companies may provide bad service, hidden fees, and damage your things.
Price, service, and moving firm reputation must be considered. Doing so guarantees a fair price for quality services.
Tips for Getting an Accurate Moving Quote
- Specify your needs for an accurate moving quote. Provide the moving firm your home’s size, number of rooms, and distance. Tell them whether you need packing or storage.
- In-home estimates from several local moving companies provide more accurate quotes. In an in-home estimate, a moving company professional will evaluate your things and provide an estimate depending on your needs.
- Some moving companies add hidden fees like fuel or stairs/elevators. Before signing, ask the moving firm about pricing and hidden expenses.
- Compare local moving company quotations to ensure fair pricing. This will help you determine the typical cost of your move and choose the best choice for your budget.
- Read a contract carefully before signing to understand pricing and fees.
5. Scheduling and Availability
Significance of Scheduling and Availability
Moving companies must consider scheduling and availability. Moving timing might affect your schedule, money, and experience. It’s crucial to pick a moving company that can work with your schedule and dates.
If a moving company is unavailable on your desired dates, you may have to change your schedule or choose an other provider, which can be unpleasant and pricey. To relocate at a convenient time, plan ahead and book your moving company.
Moving Company Availability and Scheduling Tips
- Moving requires planning. To assure availability, choose a moving date and book your moving company early.
- Move when you can. Shifting midweek or off-season may cut prices and increase availability.
- Ask moving firms whether they can accommodate your move dates. Ask a moving firm for other dates if your desired dates are unavailable.
- Confirm the move date with the moving company after booking them.
- To avoid complications, notify your moving firm of any schedule or date changes.
6. Customer Service
Importance of Good Customer Service
Any business, including movers, needs good customer service. It determines client satisfaction. A moving company with great customer service may ease the stress and emotional strain of moving.
Customer service involves listening to and answering client demands, giving timely and correct information, being respectful, and delivering services as promised. Good customer service can help moving companies succeed long-term.
Tips for Assessing a Moving Company’s Customer Service
- See reviews of the moving company on Yelp, Google, and Facebook. Look for customer service reviews to assess the company’s performance.
- BBB- and AMSA-accredited moving businesses must provide excellent customer service. Verify the moving company’s accreditation.
- Ask about services and customer support by calling or emailing the moving business. The organization values customer service if it responds quickly and helpfully.
- Ask the moving business how they manage customer concerns and communicate with consumers during the move. Good customer service requires clear policies.
- Ask the relocation company for customer references. Ask them about the company’s customer service.
7. Reviews and Testimonials
Why Reading Reviews and Testimonials is Important
Choosing a moving company requires reading reviews and testimonials. Customer testimonials can reveal the company’s performance, reliability, and customer service. They can help you decide and prevent scams.
Reviews and testimonies can also show the company’s strengths and limitations, helping you decide if they’re ideal for your move. You can learn about the moving company’s reputation and track record by reading reviews and testimonials.
Tips for Finding and Evaluating Reviews and Testimonials
- Check the company’s website, Yelp, Google, and social media for reviews and testimonials. This will show you the company’s reputation.
- Read critical reviews to gain a fair view. Look for patterns in customer evaluations and address any reoccurring issues.
- Avoid overly favourable or critical reviews or those without details. Pay attention to wording and whether the review sounds legitimate.
- Review dates should be recent and relevant. To assess a company’s current performance, check recent reviews.
- Consider the reviews and testimonies as a whole. Several unfavorable evaluations may indicate a company’s poor performance, but one may not.
8. Additional Fees and Hidden Costs
Understanding Additional Fees and Hidden Costs
When hiring a moving firm, it’s important to know the complete cost, including hidden expenses. Not understanding these expenditures might lead to unexpected expenses and financial stress.
Packing materials, fuel surcharges, long haul fees, elevator fees, and bulky item fees are hidden fees. Avoid surprises by knowing these prices ahead.
Identifying and Avoiding Additional Fees and Hidden Costs
- Ask the moving company to break out all prices, including hidden fees. This can help you estimate the entire transfer cost and find any hidden fees.
- Compare moving quotes from multiple businesses. This can help you spot price disparities and prevent hidden surcharges.
- Ask the moving firm if your circumstances warrant additional fees. Ask about elevator or long-carry costs if you live in a building with an elevator.
- Before signing, read the contract to understand all fees. Ask the mover to clarify any words.
- Avoid movers that want big deposits. This may indicate a corporation trying to lock you in and hide fees.
- Check the company’s web reputation, including reviews and testimonials, for hidden fees.